********Jesus breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained."-- John 20:22-23
REFLECTIONS FROM FR. DENNIS
From the second reading from Galatians 5:16-25 we hear these verses that contrast the works of the flesh with the fruits of the Spirit:
“Now the works of the flesh are obvious: immorality, impurity, lust, idolatry, sorcery, hatreds, rivalry, jealousy, outbursts of fury, acts of selfishness, dissensions, factions, occasions of envy, drinking bouts, orgies and the like. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. In contrast, the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. . . . if we live in the Spirit, let us also follow the Spirit.”
- Our beloved Pastor was born on April 16, 1963 in Laredo, Texas. His parents are Dr. Domingo Arechiga, former resident of the Laredo Junior College; deceased February 26, 1987 and Emma G. Arechiga, former legal secretary for Hall, Quintanilla and Alarcon.
- Father Dennis has an older sister, Jo Emma Arechiga, who is three years older and is both a lawyer and a R.N. currently working as a charge nurse in the OR for Christus Spohn Hospital in Corpus Christi, Texas.
- He has a younger brother, Alberto David Arechiga, who is six years younger and works in sales for VMWare in Austin, Texas.
- From 1988 to 1989 taught 8th and 9th graders Religion at Holy Cross Jr. High/High School in San Antonio.
- In the summer of 1989 worked in marketing at Sosa & Associates.
- Fall of 1989 to spring of 1995 taught music for six years at St. Cecilia's Catholic Elementary School in San Antonio and was the Music Minister of St. Cecilia's Parish.
- Fall of 1995 to spring of 1996 taught at Burnet Elementary in S.A.I.S.D, a 4th grade bilingual class. That same year, went to Region 20 to get his elementary teaching certificate.
- Fall of 1996 to spring of 1997 rejoined the Congregation of Holy Cross and resumed studies for priesthood and for a Masters of Divinity at Oblate School of Theology in San Antonio.
- On January 1998, joined the Archdiocese of San Antonio and continued seminary studies for priesthood at the Oblate School of Theology.
- On Ma of 2000, graduated with a Masters or Divinity Degree from Oblate School of Theology and was ordained a Catholic priest on May 27, 2000.
- From July 2000 to July 2002 was appointed Parochial Vicar - San Fernando Cathedral.
- On June 1, 2002 was appointed Pastor of Monica Parish in Converse, Texas, where he served for a period of eight years.
- On July 1, 2010 was appointed Pastor of St. Matthew Parish in San Antonio, Texas. Currently serving his fifth year of a six year term. Also works with the Archdiocesan Mission Co-Op Plan priest committee which helps coordinate missionary priests who visit each parish in the summer for a mission appeal. Father Dennis also serves as the Chair of the Priest Pension Board which oversees the pension for the diocesan priests of the Archdiocese of San Antonio.